Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Little Joys






Category: Life

My bridal shower is coming up on Saturday. (!!!!!!) :::Insert excited fist pumping here::: My sister Mandi, maid of honor, is doing a splendid job of pulling it all together. I can't wait for it! My mom, sister, future mom-in-law, future sister-in-law, and future dad-in-law will all be coming this weekend for the shower. I can't wait! I'm SO tempted to take a peek on our registries to see what we've got, but I have been disciplined and have not done so...Brian has...but he's not telling me. :) So anyway, I wanted to get a new dress for the shower. Please note: I hate dress shopping. Hate it. If you noticed from my status on Facebook, I hate dress shopping. It's ridiculously hard for me to find a dress I like, that is cute, fits great, affordable, and modest. It's practically impossible now that most dresses are WAY TOO short and WAY TOO expensive. I had gone shopping with one of my dear friends (and bridesmaids) Regina and was so discouraged at not finding anything. I wasn't going to give up though! I'm a determined little booger! So, last night, I decided to head for Georgetown. Now, if you live in DC, you know that G-town is pretty expensive with stores like JCrew, Banana, Tommy Hilfiger, White House/Black Market, Cusp, and other cute little boutiques that I will never EVER afford. (which I'm ok with because a woman's beauty is not to be of her adornment, but in the quiet and gentle spirit...1 Peter 3:3). But a girl does want to look and feel pretty, especially when it's a big day...like a bridal shower day. I was feeling pretty hopeless in finding a dress and was even gonna settle for buying a dress for $100. YIKES! Yes, I know....




But, whilst walking to the uber expensive stores, I remembered this WAY cute second hand thrift store. I didn't think I would find ANYTHING in there, but it was worth a shot, right? As you all know, I'm sure, thrift stores are definitely a hit or miss. You can browse through all the gross 1980/1990 clothes with the embroidered reindeer Christmas sweaters or the puffy sleeved prom dresses or the almost torn shirt to find just one little treasure. I had almost given up hope when I saw this super cute yellow eyelet dress hanging in the middle of the rack. I pulled it out to see what size it was...alas, there was no size on the tag. The sales lady didn't know what size it would be either. I looked it over a few times and concluded that it would be way too small for me, but decided to try it on anyway...couldn't hurt, right? Well, to my dismay, IT FIT!! It looked GREAT TOO!! I felt like the sisterhood of the traveling pants where the pants fit EVERYONE. It is perfect for my bridal shower. I felt relieved and excited to wear my new dress on Saturday. I was rather proud of myself for being financially thrifty! Yay! Go me! And uber excited that God provided! Yay! Go God! And just even more excited that I can add little accessories to my new dress for a little creative touch by yours truly. So just by adding light pinkish flats, blue rose earrings, and a light pinkish ribbon from Joanne Fabrics to go around the waistline for a belt, this dress has a whole new look to it! Yay for creativity!!

Creative little touches is what makes life, your surroundings, people more interesting.

This blog is just about the little joys I am enjoying right now....






This picture and the fact that my church is together in one room again.


Going for peaches at Eastern Market on Sunday morning before church with Brian.

Having a girl moment in the middle of a mall with a dear friend eating Godiva Chocolate. :)



Him. :)




Our newest member of the houshold, our phern, Phillis. Brian takes care of her till I move in.




This WAY AWESOME toy I picked up at the orthodonist yesterday. :) haha...watch out, Bri!


And super cute bobbypins and necklaces from Etsy.com and the way cute wrapping the sellers put them in. The bobbypins came in the little bag, and the necklace was wrapped in the floral material. These will also be used with my dress. :) If you haven't checked out Etsy...you GOTTA! Everything is handmade which means it's all original. I just love original pieces.




The Hippstamatic app on my iphone! It take pictures in a completely different light. It has changed my photographing world! Brian took this picture, unbeknownest to me, whilst I was intently listening in at our member meeting Sunday night.
The rest of the little joys do not have pictures, but are worth of mentioning nonetheless (nonetheless = awesome word)
Hugs from Brian after the zipper from my dress breaking and calling my mom in tears. (yes, the zipper broke...getting it fixed today)
Sweetened Green Tea...sweet and healthy.
The way God provides good gifts for his children.
Rocking awesome deals from craigslist for our furniture!
And this verse I read today:
For behold, he who forms the mountains and creates the wind.
and declares to man what is his thought,
who makes morning darkness,
and treads on the heights of the earth--
the Lord, the God of hosts, is his name!
Amos 4:13

I'd LOVE to hear what your little joys are!! Leave me a comment...or two...or three...or 27.

: )

simply.
jenny.

3 comments:

  1. how lovely (:
    mm. big one? love. of all different sizes and shapes.
    and a little one? music that hits the right spot at the right time.
    and cold, refrigerated chocolate chips and frozen cherries. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    oooo the refrigerated chocolate chips and frozen cherries sound slendid!! I'll have to try that sometime. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm adding "whilst" into my regular vocabulary through the month of September, in honor of Jenny and Brian, whilst I wait for their awesome wedding, ahhh!!

    ReplyDelete