Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

Featured Friday: Jasmine Star

In the midst of me chowing down on what could possibly be the BEST sandwhich ever made from Potbelly's, I feel inspired. Inspired to write about my absolute favorite photographer who is from California, Jasmine Star. (I have a local favorite photographer as well).

I have dreams. I mean, c'mon. Who doesn't? But seriously, I have TONS of dreams when I sleep. I think I have ADHD dreams. I also have dreams to attain in my life too...but that's another story. My dreams are SO. WEIRD. (btw, I just finished my Potbelly's sandwich in less than 2 minutes. Yeah, it was good.) I still remember a lot of my dreams from my childhood. There's this one (it's my favorite) where I was sitting on a dock on a lake playing with my Rainbow Bright horse (which I had just gotten that day) and then all of the sudden, it came alive! It was flying around, because yes it does have wings...all the good horses do, and then it picked me up! We were just flying around in the air, and I loved it! And then a gorilla appeared on the dock out of nowhere and the Rainbow Bright horse saved me from it! Then we landed on the dock and it went back to being plastic and the size of my hand...and I went back to reality.

My dreams are often not related to each other either. For instance, last night I had a dream that I was preggo and Brian was the last to know and he found out through Facebook. hee hee...oops. Not to self...tell hubby FIRST when/if I am every preggo. Then, suddenly I was in a room and Jasmine Star was there! I was getting ready for one of her super fantastic fabulous workshops she holds a few times a year. I was blow drying my hair and she came up to me and said "I'm intimidated by you." PA!!! And then my hair dryer broke (I think it's a sign. My actual hair dryer has been spitting sparks at my head...it's out to get me.) Then I went over to JStar with my wet hair and asked if I could borrow her hair dryer. She let me. And we were friends after that. It was a funny dream. :) But it went from being preggo to meeting Jasmine Star at one of her workshops. Random, I tell ya, random.

Someday, I hope to meet her! I admire her skill in photography so much especially the way she can make her clients stand in front of a camera and feel so comfortable. Her pictures are just genuine. I appreciate that she doesn't manipulate anyone's face or body type in photoshop. I appreciate how she can take six different fabulous pictures from one pose out of six different angles. Her wonderful tips and behind the lens blogs are so helpful for me, especially because I have so many questions about the photog business. She is talented with the camera, but it's also mostly her personality. To be a great photographer, you must have a fabulous personality. It takes a great deal of patience to work with brides and their families. You really have to put yourself out there to talk and listen to what they want in their photographer. When a bride and groom are looking for a photographer, they are not only looking for great and quality pictures and a creative eye, they are looking for a personality. The photographer is the one person that you will spend the most time with (besides your groom) on your wedding day. It's important to build a friendship with clients. That's what Jstar does. She is full of life and creativity. She's always thinking about her business and how to make it better. There's a lot more to learn from this girl.

In my ideal life, Brian would get a job somewhere out in Cali so we could be in the warm area, and I would study under Jasmine Star. We'd be like Dr. Cox and JD on Scrubs. Plus, we wouldn't be in the frigid cold any more. (No more white stuff! It is cold. I have to wear boots, gloves, scarves, and hats, and I can't play outside! Boo!) Brian and I often talk about moving out to Cali someday...or at least going somewhere warm for my birthday (which is NEXT Wednesday, btw...hint hint). Since my bday is smake dab in the middle of winter, I have to have a coooooooold birthday and nobody has any motivation to celebrate anything in the cold. Anyway, we were talking about going out to Cali for my bday. He found tickets to L.A. for $80 each! Say what??? Yeah...but alas, there's not so much with the profit right now so my dream of a warmer birthday will have to wait. Anyway, Brian knows I AD.ORE. Jasmine Star. Being the kind and sweet and thoughtful (ok, and hot!) hubby he is, he emailed JStar to ask that if we ever make it to L.A. in the next few months, we could meet up with Jasmine Star and her hubby JD...and ok, their cute dog Polo too. :) Awwwwwwwwwwwww (times infinity)! JStar's hubby, JD, emailed Brian back and below you can see his response. So. Sweet. Both JD's response and Brian for asking. (the bold words are my added two cents.)
Hi Brian,
Thank you for contacting Jasmine regarding meeting up in L.A. It's really sweet to see you support your wife as she pursues her dreams. (Yes it is, JD, it is.)
I'm also excited to hear about Jenny and her passion for photography and can't wait
to see what the future has in store for her!! (ME TOO, JD, ME TOO!!!) We are currently a bit overextended juggling a few new projects and wouldn't be able to meet up. (I hear ya!) Feel free to drop us a line anytime! Thanks again and we wish you all the best!
Best,
JD
Someday Jasmine Star and I will be friends! Someday I will go to one of her workshops and drink in every advice she gives. Seriously, one hand will be typing on my laptop and the other will be writing hand written notes. Someday, Brian and I will move out to Cali where it's warm and the white stuff is non-existent and I can wear flipflops all year. Someday I will be like a protege' under Jasmine Star, and I will second shoot with her. I will become her project to teach me to be the next big photographer traveling across the world to shoot fabulous weddings. We will be friends. She will show me tricks on the camera. And I will bake her cupcakes with my Sexy Kitchen Aid.

1 comment: