Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Better Possession

Can you think of your absolute favorite possession in your house? Maybe your office? Maybe in you room...or you might even be wearing it...say something like an antique diamond ring from your husband's grandma he presented to you on the night of your engagement.

I've often thought about having a house fire...I know, I think of weird things. But I would think about my special (sometimes most expensive) possession I would absolutely save. Or it would be the thing I would put in a fire safe lock box (which, btw Brian, we still need to get!).

For me, I would save...well, my computer, external hard drive, and my camera...all equipment I use to build my photog bidness. Other than things that cost money, I would save my Bible and a banker's box of 15 something journals I've kept over the years and pictures of childhood and such. Those are precious possessions to me.

But what about things like a big house? A big car? A new ipad or iphone for that matter? What about all those things that make us comfortable to have an easy life...one without wants, desires, and longings. Could you give all of those up? I discintly remember going to buy my Mac in 2007. I was SO excited about it, but also HATED that I spent that much money. I bought it. Was excited. But felt guilty. I told God that if he had me move to a third world country and give all of the "comforts" of life up, I would. Honestly, I can't say that I would do that any more. Yikes! Where has my heart been settled on? Hmm...definitely not on heavenly things.

Today, during lunch, I took a walk to Borders near my work. I usually do this on days I don't have anything going on. I like to get away from my desk to spend some time in the Word. Lately, I've been reading Hebrews and I came across Hebrews 10:34-35.
Here it is:

For you had compassion
on those in prison,
and you joyfully accepted the plundering
of your property,
since you knew that you yourselves had a
better possession
and an abiding one.
Therefore do not throw away
your confidence,
which has a great reward.
This convicted me. "Joyfully accept the plundering (good word) of your property."

Would I joyfully accept the loss of everything I owned and loved and possessed? In a joyful way, as well? This would be hard...
BUT LOOK!!
The author goes on to say the reason of their joyfulness in the plunderment (made up word) of their possession...THEY HAD A BETTER POSSESSION!!! AN ABIDING ONE, for that matter.
What was that abiding possesion? Jesus Christ! Duh. They knew they had Christ on their side. They knew all they EVER needed was Christ...and they were completely satisfied with that. "You shall not eat by bread alone, BUT by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." He is all we need. Christ, our sacrifice, gave himself up to be sin (he knew no sin) so that we could come boldly unto the throne of Grace to find help in the time of need. The author of Hebrews, encouraged the people here to not give up their confidence...because they had a better, abiding, possession.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny-

    I'm not sure if you remember me but I met you a few times at church in D.C. I since have moved back to IL and have a year long internship with the Illinois Senate Republicans...

    Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I think you are amazing. Your personality and spirit could not be any brighter. I love looking at your pictures from the most recent weddings. When I get married...ahahhaha. it may be a while...I would like you to take my wedding pictures. :)

    For some reason, I feel happy when I look at your facebook page or your pictures. Even though I didn't get to know you that well in D.C. I feel like I know you now.

    Thanks.

    Love,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete